Wednesday 6 August 2014

MY ‘BALD’ NEW AVATAR Or RATHER RAPE OF THE LOCK

I shaved my locks off on Aug 6, 2014. Nearly 34 years after I was born. Some say a woman’s curls add to her beauty. And these days when everybody is behind becoming attractive and looking hot, here I was, removing this decorative piece from my body. Strangely, I felt more confident and beautiful than I have ever felt all these years.  I sat on the veranda chatting with barber Jayan, who effortlessly removed my pride, and my chat with him revealed the struggle that he went through in his life. When I heard him, I felt relaxed that the internal fight that I was going through was nothing. God has given bigger tasks and challenges to other people. My struggle is/was miniscule.  People have bigger worries in life than I did. Here was this barber guy, tall and good-looking with Bhasmam smeared on his forehead, who took care of his two sisters and mother after his father’s death. He looked my age. So I was wondering what to call him. I ended up calling him ‘cheta’. He had studied only till Class Eighth and had to discontinue his studies after his father remarried and the onus of taking care of his family fell on his young shoulders. I asked him the question that is often asked to me, “How many children?” He said he is single. And I said to myself, “Ha, Just like me.” He told me to wet my hair before he starts removing it. All he had with him was a blade and he effortlessly went about doing his business. Within flat five minutes, years of growth had given way to a clean and clear head, both figuratively and in reality. Felt a new sense of freedom and could not stop admiring myself in the mirror until mother scolded me for going overboard. At that point of time, I also remembered the poem written by Alexander Pope titled ‘The rape of the lock’ and was sure to pen down a few words on it…APPEARANCES MATTER? (Unlike Belinda’s baron it was a smooth ride for Jayan as I was game for change)

No sighs and sobs!

All highs and hugs…

Love Vinu

No comments:

A poet in the courtroom

 In the hallowed halls of justice, where shadows softly fall,  A lawyer stands with purpose, answering the call. With words as their weapon,...