Tuesday 22 July 2014

MORNING RAGAS

This morning I decided to laze around, lay back and just hear the sounds of life. A seemingly silent morning was in fact reverberating with activity. Here is a snapshot of what I heard in 10-minutes, which I turned into Morning Ragas.

 
MORNING RAGAS

Birds chirping,

Cocks crying cock-a-doodle-do,

Crows cawing,

Dogs barking

 

I could hear,

Women hitting clothes,

On granite slabs

My mother’s footsteps,

From the kitchen,

Pounding cardamoms,

In a bronze mortar,

For the morning chai

 

I could hear,

My father cough,

From the bathroom,

Getting ready for his walk,

Kiduk! He gently shut the door

Lest, I awake from my slumber

 

Then the buzz

Of the Naval aircraft

As it flew past my terrace

 

I could hear,

My teak, mahogany and casuarinas whistle,

Whispering their morning prayers

Swinging their leaves,

And dancing in the breeze

To nature’s tune

 

I could hear,

The motor engine churning,

Water dripping down the terrace,

From an overfilled tank

Through a pipe,

Creating a micro-pond

In the ground

 

I could hear,

My neigbour,

Kick starting his bike,

Getting ready,

For a strenuous day at work,

Then there was radio mango

With its jingle,

Airing from another corner

 

I could hear,

 Noises from the kitchen,

The pressure cooker,

Steaming up

Mother cleaning utensils,

Cling-clang

Could hear her open the tap,

And water gushing down,

Hitting the metallic kitchen sink

 

And swoosh,

Then the clouds opened

Lo! The mighty rains,

Beat upon the parched earth

Displaying its strength…

Drowning all the noises

And drumming up its own beat

 

While, I closed my eyes and ears

To enjoy my sleep

Nature continued,

To play its song!

 

 

 

No comments:

A poet in the courtroom

 In the hallowed halls of justice, where shadows softly fall,  A lawyer stands with purpose, answering the call. With words as their weapon,...